Criminal law is one of the most fascinating areas of legal practice. In this course students will examine all major areas of crime, basic legal concepts as well as specific laws relating to crimes and punishments.
This course is ideal for students interested in pursuing a career in the criminal justice system including jobs in law enforcement and the legal profession. If you want to be a police officer, lawyer or paralegal, this course will be invaluable to you.
By the end of the course, students will be able to:
• Understand the key elements and application of criminal law and the criminal court process
• Identify criminal laws by synthesising primary materials such as
parliamentary statutes and appellate court judgments;
• Apply criminal law doctrine, precedent, and statute for the purpose of
assessing criminal liability;
• Engage in detailed critical analysis of serious offences such as murder and
defences to these offences.
• Know who is involved in criminal court processes and what they do
Know the defences in criminal cases
1 Actus Reus
2. The mental element (mens rea)
3. Participation in crime
4. Preliminary or inchoate offences
6. General Defences
7 Offences against property
8, Non fatal offences against the person